About the Institute for Naturopathic Medicine
Our History: The INM was established in 1992 as a philanthropic foundation serving the profession of naturopathic medicine. When the INM was founded, naturopathic physicians were licensed in only seven states. Now, twenty states and territories license naturopathic doctors.
Today, our efforts are focused on public education and connecting patients to legitimate licensed NDs in their region. Since its founding, the INM has served the naturopathic medicine world in many ways. We have:
- Launched the Association of Accredited Naturopathic Medical Colleges
- Supported ongoing public education efforts
- Played a key role in obtaining licensure for naturopathic physicians in California
- Funded graduating naturopathic medicine students in studies that advance the profession (through the Dr. John Bastyr Sunshine Fund Clinical Investigator Research Fellowships)
Our long-term vision includes supporting extended clinical studies that compare naturopathic care to mainstream medical treatments in specific populations with specific health conditions. We plan to widely broadcast the results of such studies to advance public education about the efficacy of naturopathic medicine.
Recently, the INM and the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians (AANP) have joined forces to strengthen our efforts. Together, we hope to support a wider variety of activities related to public education, access to naturopathic care, and research.
INM envisions optimal health and wellbeing through the transformation of the healthcare system by education about and promotion of the principles and practices of naturopathic medicine.
We strive to achieve this mission through initiatives related to:
- Education – Reveal the unique benefits of naturopathic medicine
- Access – Connect potential patients through our “Find a Licensed ND” tool
- Research – Expand the research database on comparative clinical studies
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct primary health care profession, emphasizing prevention, treatment, and optimal health through methods that encourage the individual’s inherent self-healing process. NDs begin with a diagnostic process that looks at the individual’s entire life, not just a single symptom, to uncover the real cause. Treatment protocols are personalized and designed to… (Read on)
Board of Directors
Michelle Simon, ND, PhD, Chair of the INM Board
Holly Lucille, ND, RN Vice Chair of the INM Board
Maurice Werness, ND
Sarah Corey, ND
Tom Kruzel, ND
Dennis Godby, ND
Michael Cronin, ND